State Rep. Jaime Greene this week announced a comprehensive plan to protect Michigan’s residents, security, and economy from foreign entities of concern.
Greene, R-Richmond, said many people have concerns about the Chinese Communist Party’s growing influence in Michigan. One specific concern surrounds Michigan schools and universities maintaining relationships with entities funded by the CCP.
“Funded by the Chinese government, these programs come with strings attached. They are not independent centers of learning but rather instruments of the Chinese Communist Party’s overseas propaganda machine,” Greene said. “As a veteran who fought against the oppressive ideologies of communism, I know the importance of safeguarding the principles that our great nation stands for – freedom, democracy, and the pursuit of knowledge without bias. I cannot stand by and allow repressive propaganda systems from dangerous foreign adversaries to infiltrate our educational institutions here at home and compromise our academic independence.”
Greene’s legislation will ensure public schools do not accept grants conditioned upon an anti-American agenda from foreign countries of concern.
Other parts of the plan would:
- Prevent foreign entities of concern from collecting sensitive information by blocking prohibited apps on government devices.
- Prohibit state and local governments from using dangerous foreign technology, such as drones, as well as state contracts that could provide personal information to dangerous foreign entities.
- Prohibit public bodies from entering into constraining agreements with foreign countries of concern.
- Ensure public economic incentives are not awarded to foreign entities of concern.
- Protect the personal health information of Michigan residents by ensuring health care record technology is physically maintained in the U.S. or Canada.
- Protect the safety of Michiganders by preventing entities of concern from purchasing land and surveilling military bases and other critical infrastructure.
The legislation addresses dangerous entities included on the federal watch list: The People’s Republic of China, The Russian Federation, The Islamic Republic of Iran, The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, The Republic of Cuba, The Venezuelan regime of Nicolas Maduro, and The Syrian Arab Republic.
State Rep. Jaime Greene, R-Richmond, today issued the following statement after the Democrat chair of the House Education Committee called for new policies to require homeschool students to register with the government: “Requiring homeschool students to register with the state is an egregious violation of parental rights, an invasion of privacy, and an unwarranted government […]
Rep. Jaime Greene opposed Senate Bills 613-616 in a 2:30 a.m. vote last week. Michigan voters approved Proposal 1 in 2022 — a constitutional amendment to require legislators, the governor, and other state officials to report their personal finances — and Greene said the bills should require more detailed disclosure and tougher penalties.
State Rep. Jaime Greene, R-Richmond, on Friday issued the following statement after the Michigan Public Service Commission authorized DTE Energy to raise rates on customers by $368 million — a 6.4% increase. “This rate increase is a prelude to an even more ominous story. Behind this immediate financial blow lies a larger narrative of utility […]
State Rep. Jaime Greene today voted against legislation that fails to offer the transparency Michigan voters demanded through Proposal 1 of 2022. Michigan residents overwhelmingly supported Proposal 1, understanding the importance of revealing income sources and future job contracts to combat conflicts of interest in the state government. Greene, R-Richmond, gave a speech before the […]